Monday, May 28, 2018

Day 5 - Srebrna (PL) to Trakai (LT)

Wednesday 30/05/2018
---------------------------------------

Woke-up nice and early after a solid night of sleep. Enjoyed a nice breakfast and morning chat with my kind hosts before heading-off down the road towards Białystock.

The weather is soo hot, easily over 30C so you don't really want to stop anywhere for too long. My sat nav lead me towards the border with Bielo-Russia as apparently it was a short-cut.... no chance without a visa so I continued toward Augustów and crossed seamlessly into Lithuania. The country feels big and relatively empty. Progress was good, but it was boiling so when I got to Trakai I realised that this was the place for me so I pulled into a very rudimentary (17th Century facilities) campsite on the lake pretty much opposite the castle. Sweated buckets putting the tent up but had a quick wash (and washed my clothes) in the lake before going sight seeing.

The castle is truly stunning, like a smaller Malbork, but on an island so real fairytale stuff. Took far too many photos, but it was impossible not to. The weather was perfect - people boating, swimming, windsurfing, sunbathing, etc. A perfect afternoon.

Had a 'posh' meal in a restaurant overlooking the castle - the beer tasted so good! Glad I made the decision to stop here rather than sweat in Vilnius. I will pass through tomorrow but won't stop for long. I do wonder if I have time to do everything on my list and still enjoy it. May have to start making some tough calls soon, especially as I may need to find a faff day soon to seek out some new tyres.

Mileage: 1556
Country count: 7 (GB, F, B, NL, D, PL, LT)
Beers: 17
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0
Ass pain: 3/10
Mechanical issues: 0
Accidents: 0 (well 1 that didn't involve me)
Coldness: 0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment