Sunday, May 27, 2018

Day 4 - Leśno (PL) to Srebrna (PL)

Tuesday 29/05/2018
-----------------------------------

Slept like a log but woke-up dehydrated on what was to be the hottest day of the trip so far. I washed some of my clothes the previous day so delayed the inevitable stench for a day or so.....

Today's plan was to ride through Malbork to see the amazing castle (former HQ of the Teutonic Knights), then Grunwald (the scene of the largest medieval battle in history). Following that, on to my uncle's house in Ostrów Mazowiecka and finally the village where my father was born - Srebrna.

It all went to plan. The heat was relentless and my route took in stunning views and roads, but it was slow going. 7+ hours of riding.

Malbork was boiling so I just took a quick photo of the castle and road on. I stopped in Grunwald. Couldn't figure out the parking so ended-up riding along loads of footpaths, right up to the monuments. You can almost imagine the Polish-Lithuanian troops taking on the Tuetonic Knights in the surrounding fields. Ate a hotdog, drank a coke and rode-on to see my cousin Andrzej in Ostrów Mazowiecka.

My cousin Andrzej suggested that we go to the village of my dad's birth together so we popped-in to see his uncle. He was keen to help me uncover the mystery of where my father was born so we drove around the village, spoke to a few people and we only went and found the remains of my grandfather's farm! The  house was gone, just overgrown foundations remain (and vicious mosquitos) but all the fruit trees and rose bushes are still there. The barn is also standing, as is an outbuilding.

Amazing to be standing in my ancester's footsteps... I probably have the right to claim the land back, but a lot of the proof needed will have been lost in the war and au subsequent Communist corruption. All very moving and I was very grateful for people going out of their way to help me find some of my family history. Spoke to one old lady who was particularly helpful and told me a lot about how all the families were deported to Siberia by the Russians and how few returned. She told me that her mother knew my family well and was deported to Siberia with them.

I didn't want to intrude but my cousin's Uncle insisted that I stay the night, so here I am enjoying their hospitality and lovely home! Long, but rewarding day. I am moved by what I saw today and the kindness of strangers. It's not such a bad world....

Mileage: 1316
Country count: 6 (GB, F, B, NL, D, PL)
Beers: 14
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0
Ass pain: 4/10
Mechanical issues: 0
Accidents: 0 (well 1 that didn't involve me)
Coldness: 0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment